The Rock Island Auctioneers and Caravans auction of a $1 million replica of a medieval castle on the island of Rock Island, South Carolina, has been scheduled to go ahead despite a court order preventing it from going ahead.
The auction has been held since June, but the order, issued by a federal judge, was temporarily suspended due to the storm that hit the state last week, and was reimposed on Thursday.
The Rock Island auction has so far raised more than $2.3 million from more than 100 bids, but according to auctioneer James Anderton, the total of the money raised will only be about $600,000, and that will be the last of it.
“We’re going to have to get back to work,” he told Al Jazeera.
“It’s going to be a very long haul.”
Rock Island has a population of about 30,000.
The state of South Carolina has ordered the auction to be cancelled because of the high amount of storm damage caused by Hurricane Florence in October.
The State Board of Game, which administers the Rock Island land sale, issued a press release on Wednesday, saying the auction “is now suspended”.
“The Rock Islands Board of Governors and the State Game Commission are not in a position to grant a license to conduct a sale of this magnitude,” the release said.
The board said it was also considering other options to reschedule the sale.
“The board is currently working with the state and other stakeholders to address the situation,” the board said.
“The board does not have a timeframe for reschelling the sale, nor does it anticipate a timeline to resume it.”
The Rock Islanders land is owned by the Rock Islands County Commissioners.